Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Narration Essay

While the teacher lectured, I stared out the window thinking about the start of high school, and a night of “blatting.” As a young freshman in high school, I, like all young kids, looked up to the seniors, which may have been the downfall of the whole night. A few friends and I were chosen to participate in an event called “blatting” as you will learn, this event was a top secret. We were told to meet in the high school parking lot at 7 pm on a Sunday night, the night before the first day of high school. I begged my parents to let me go over to my “friend’s house” where we were going to hangout for the last time before school started back up. They allowed me to go over there, oblivious of my true intentions, which I, myself, was not even aware of.
I had finally arrived at my friend’s house, and we were all excited to experience what the seniors had in store for us. Our crew consisted of four of us: Ethan, Mike, Kenny, and I. Ethan was the friend of mine who got us signed up for the event in the first place, as his brother was a senior and had the whole night planned out. So we asked, “Ethan, what are we doing tonight?” “Don’t ask me” he replied, “you guys know my brother, I don’t know if we should actually show up…” ”Are you kidding,” we yelled. “What is the worst thing they will do to us? Hit us with a paddle like in all of those hazing movies?” We all rode our bikes to the school and made sure to get there on time. We finally pedaled our way to the lot, where there wasn’t a soul in sight. “Oh no! They said 7 pm, correct?” My friends assured me I was correct. “Beep, Beep” it was them, they brought multiple cars. “Get up against the fence” the big football player said. He then proceeded to put bandanas around all of our eyes, and grabbed our hands and split us up into two separate cars. They put us in the cars, then hollered, “don’t talk” so we sat in silence. There was some death metal blasting, probably in hopes of scaring us even more. They then told us the rules of “blatting,” which consisted of “do not speak a word about blatting.” (With that said, I shouldn’t be writing this paper) We were thinking what did we get ourselves into? Why are we told not to talk? Most importantly why do we have bandanas covering our faces? The car ride was probably around 25 minutes long, and I could hear gravel kicking up on the car, this was odd, considering we live in a populated and developed city. The car slammed to a stop, our doors flung open and we were pulled out of the car. I could hear a river flowing beside us and thought it was getting a little too sketchy for me to keep playing along.
I could hear my friends trying to whisper to each other, but the leaders quickly stopped them. A man took my hand and said, “grab my hand, we have to run, I’ll tell you when to get down.” “What do you mean get down?” I replied. So we began running and he yelled “Get Down,” which we did. “Zoooooom” a car flew by. The seniors whispered “okay, take off your bandanas,” we all looked up and we were next to a county road. The football player who threw me in the car was sitting in front of a wooden cross next to the woods. He began telling us a story about a railroad worker, who one day, was eating a pie on the railroad tracks when a train came and smashed the pie completely flat. The story teller then informed us this wasn’t any old pie, it was the best pie the man had ever tasted, and therefore he licked every last crumb off the tracks. “It’s your kid’s job to do the same, grab a pie and put it in the middle of the road. We are not leaving until it gets ran over, and you eat every last crumb off the highway. By the way, you can only use your mouth to get it off the pavement.” We all started laughing, and said “Nooo way, were not doing that, you have got to be kidding.” But we ultimately knew we had to, so we threw them in the road. One by one, each pass of vehicles flattened our pies. It was time to do the deed of eating them. All of us finished our pies; nothing better than having sand and small rocks mixed with your pie, not to mention, after being smashed on a dirty road! This experience was definitely exciting, but overall I didn’t think it was a very worthwhile thing to do, it does make for a good story to tell people of a crazy game that we took part in.
I think this showed me to be sure I know what I am doing, before I go to find another experience like this. It was kind of a fun time, but then again, I wouldn’t even think of doing this if I would’ve known our part of the deal.

3 comments: